Sunday 26 January 2014

Dyeing Clothes in the Washing Machine

I had this cream trench coat stuck in the back of the wardrobe for years. It was an impulse buy (most unlike me!) and I never quite managed to make it work, but nor did I quite manage to part with it, as it's a nice fit and length on me.


I decided it was time to try Dylon washing machine dye and that if I was going to do this, I might as well do it properly, so I went the whole hog and ordered a box in Tropical Green from eBay:


When it arrived, I initially got cold feet (it's pretty darn bright!), but decided as this jacket has been languishing in the cupboard for so long unworn, I had nothing to lose!

How to use Dylon washing machine dye:


Empty the whole packet of dye into the drum and then add 500g of ordinary salt (some retailers sell this with the dye but I found it cheaper to buy separately). Place the fabric you wish to dye on top (the box suggests you'll get the full effect of the colour on 600g of fabric or a paler colour on a full-load, e.g. bedsheets) and run a 40 degree cycle.


Once you're done, run the washing machine empty on a 40 degree cycle to rid of any traces of the dye (just in case there was any residue, I ran a coloured wash on the next use, not a white one!) then voila, stand back and admire your handiwork:



I love the green and am so glad I didn't go with a 'safe' colour, although it's worth noting that the thread hasn't taken such a bright shade and is a minty green, as you can see in the picture below.


I'm really pleased that for £6.50 I've got myself a 'new' jacket that I can't wait to wear and that I'm hoping will make me feel like spring is just around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment