Sunday 9 October 2011

Make, Do and Mend

Today I am taking the old adage 'make do and mend' very literally, by making, doing and mending some of the things I've been saving for a rainy day.

Make:

I made these very simple rocky road pieces to nibble on whilst enjoying a nail biting grand prix today.

Ingredients:
150g milk chocolate
60g of marshmallows, chopped
70g digestive biscuits, broken into chunks
25g raisins

Method:
1. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water
2. Once the chocolate has melted, stir in the marshmallows, biscuits and raisins
3. Pour mixture onto a lined baking tray
4. Put in the fridge to set for about an hour

Makes about 8 medium sized pieces


Most rocky road recipes use mini marshmallows, but these tend to be more expensive, so I just chop up the big ones, as above



Do:

Consider cheaper cuts of meat- I've just put a delicious 'speedy roast' in the oven of chicken thighs and drumsticks (far cheaper than breast meat) with potatoes, pepper, lemon, onion and garlic, drizzled in olive oil, honey, white wine and seasoned with salt, pepper and rosemary, yum! The smell is wafting in rather temptingly whilst I type...

Mend:

Today I glued my boots back together, putting an end to the flappy 'puppet mouth' look I've been sporting.


I also got out my unpicker to remove a zip and buttons from an otherwise unsalvageable pair of linen trousers with several large holes in. I'll store these for another rainy day when I learn to use my zipper foot!


 I love all the old 'make do and mend' book covers and adverts and having a look at them is giving me some ideas for a project... Check out my Pinterest Board.

No comments:

Post a Comment